Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The usual stand-out and a pleasant surprise

They drop it down to 2 judges talking per contestant and they STILL run over? Unreal. Cut some of the SUTA with the guest mentors, remove the little "let's talk with the contestant" and have the judges sum up their thoughts in just 2 sentences and MAYBE you wouldn't run over into the next show's slot. Idiots. At this point of the game, we're pretty much already invested in the idols we like and don't need the waste of this time thankyouverymuch. *Bah* Maybe next year I'll just wait until the videos hit MJ's and Rickey's sites and take care of business that way. Commercial and crapola-free baby!

This week, the usual one stood out. We had a couple other nice performances (one being a very pleasant surprise, but not enough to make me jump fan bases), but for the most part the rest of the show was a wash...*AGAIN*. Good thing the show's free.

Allison (Don’t Want to Miss a Thing by Aerosmith): Her performance was ok. She was on pitch most of the time. I think it would have helped her out some if they'd changed up the key just a bit for her because those lower notes were just a tad rough. I hate the fact that they like to beat us over the head about certain contestants' ages though. I hated it when they did it with Jordan, I hated it with the SUTA king himself and I really hate it now. Yes, we know she's 16... do like the Eagles suggest and just Get Over It. Thank you. Of the two girls left, she is the best one. I will admit that much. The Chart has her rated at 1-7/B3/5th listing and the Maps have her scored at a 5 (6 wins and 1 loss). The Chart looks like it's going to be wonky again this week. It has all but one listed in the yellow B3. I'm guessing I won't be basing my judgement on that. I think we're going to have to look at the Maps for the final call. With 5 states won and only a 5th rating, you can be sure something's wrong there. So, is she in the B3 this week? If she is, it's not because of her performance as there were a couple others far worse than her. She'll be there strictly because of singing position.

Anoop (Everything I Do by Bryan Adams): Ok. The high-def I'm watching this on did him no favors with that sweaty lip action we got. Ew. It was a tad distracting. At least they didn't have to squeegee the stage when he was done. I digress. I was pleasantly surprised with Anoop this week. His phrasing was wonderful tonight and I actually thouroughly enjoyed this nicely controlled performance of his. IF he ends up in the B3, I suspect it'll be based upon the singing position. Considering how well he presented his song, he really does deserve to stay one more week. Besides, with his yo-yoing performances this means a bad week next time around and we can let him go then. There were a couple others worse than him this time. He Charted at a 1-7/B3/4th listing and rated a 3 (5 wins and 2 losses) on the Maps. With that low score it's very highly likely that he may hit the B3 again this week.

Adam (Born to be Wild by Steppenwolf, Hinder’s version?): I really need to stop watching his performances on the tv. Not sure what it is about this dude that turns me into a squealing-panty-throwing fangirly, but damn...it happens every friggin time. Guaranteed my GaSis probably sat and said WTF when he sang this week. She seems to prefer his low-key, stripped down performances over what he used this time around. Simon's right with him, you either love him or you hate him. Either way, you can't deny that this guy's entertaining and puts on one hell of a show. It takes some mad talent to do that. Charted at a 1-7/B3/3rd listing and an 11 on the Maps (all wins baby!), I don't see him going anywhere this week, even with the wonky rating on the Chart.

Matt (Really Love a Woman by Bryan Adams): I love the songs Bryan Adams does for soundtracks. I really, really, really do. I'll give Matt credit because he actually started out really very nicely with it. Then that baby forehead-alien Doug, that object upon his forehead completely took over and unwisely convinced Matt to tromp all over a lovely song. This song should have been great for him and might have been enough to convince me that he truly belongs in the competition, if he hadn't done all those vocal acrobatics over the melody. His Chart score was a 1-7/B3/6th listing and he received a -4 on the Maps (3 wins and 7 losses!!). I'm pretty well certain this one's hitting the B3 again this week. Can he go home this week please??

Danny (Endless Love, by Lionel Richie): Ok. Props for ditching the glasses. I think he looks much nicer without them. No props for picking a very predictible choice of song. If he makes it through this week, I would really like for him to pick a song that couldn't even be remotely connected to the emotions tied to his personal life. I know that might sound cold, but please. Enough of the pimping and mentioning his wife passed on. Even as veiled as it was, it was still there and it's gotten annoying. The performance was only ok, not all that. Basically, the same ol' same ol' outta him. He's unfortunately the only one in the green this week. Personally, it's not exactly deserved based on performance, that's for sure. He rated a 1-6/1st listing on the Chart and the Maps have him at a 7 (no losses either). This is another one that just shows how outta whack the Chart has been. A first listing and only 7 states? Puh-leeze.
Kris (Falling Slowly by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova): He had a good singing position and picked a song (once I listened to the original) that was well suited to his voice. I give him props for pulling out a song hardly anyone would know. However, I also think it was to his disadvantage because even though it was well sung (and very much on pitch) he may have lost some of the viewers due to the obscurity of the song. It was nicely executed, but dull. I wouldn't say it was his best moment, but it was certainly very good. I half expect the fact that the choice of a dull lesser-known song is going to work against him this week. He rated a 2-7/B3/dead last listing AGAIN this week on the Chart and received a 2 on the Maps (3 wins and 1 loss). As much as I want to call him safe, he's definitely in danger. I don't think he'll leave this week because there were 2 that did much worse in the Maps but if the Chart rights itself after that glitch of last week, we may see him sent home. The question if this happens, will the judges save him? I suspect they just might because his reviews have been generally favorable up to now.

Lil (The Rose by Bette Midler): Good Heavens WTF was this mess??? This should have been a WONDERFUL song for her. Nice long sustained notes for her to stretch her voice and let it soar. It is a perfect song for her voice. Then she opened her damn yaw. That was the most HORRID version I have ever heard. Simon is absolutely right, she's NOT the artist we fell in love with in the beginning of this season. I really hated the back-talking too. I know they encourage it, but please... don't do it to the point where you're coming across as argumentative. He said you could say your piece, there's no need to look and sound like you're about to rip the dude's face off. He's doing his job and he has his own opinions. Just simply say, "I don't agree with you, you want us to be artists and that's why I did what I did." That's all that needs saying. Lil's the VFTW pick now so I don't really see her going this week, but it's still very highly likely she might anyhow. The Chart rates her as a 1-7/B3/2nd listing and the Maps put her at a -3 (4 wins and 7 losses).

Analysis.

If we go by the Chart, the B3 of the week is Allison, Matt and Kris with the latter going home. However, the Chart was wrong last week for the first time in weeks and it's very possible that they're wrong again. I don't know what's throwing it off so badly. What hasn't been too far off is the Maps. Last week they put Lil (-1), Scott (0) and Anoop (0) in the bottom; it was a close race and Scott went home. This week, the Maps have them as Lil (-3), Matt (-4) and either Kris (2) or Anoop (3) joining them. So realistically, there are 5 that could possibly be in our B3.

Lil: after that HORRID rendition, she really deserves to be sent packing. Her biggest problem is the fact that she can't pick a song that's good for her and when she does, she mangles the execution of it (well, she executes it...that's for sure..we definitely had death-throes there this week). I don't recall a time offhand that the pimp singer was sent home though. Maybe we'll get lucky and this'll be a first?

Matt: after tromping all over a very beautiful song, he deserves to go too. His biggest problem is that he gets lost in the song and starts adding stuff where it's not needed. Sometimes the KISS method works just fine. Keep It Simple, Stupid. My advice, quit letting Doug take control of the performance.


Kris: An obscure song, but nicely done. He needs to go back to the stuff we were liking before. If he leaves, it'll be because of two things. 01) the song was too unknown and he lost his listeners and 02) the judges refuse to save him. I don't think the latter will happen though. Of the ones this week, if Kris or Allison hit the B3, the save will more than likely get used as neither deserves to go home yet.


Anoop & Allison: if either is in the B3, then it's due to singing position and not because of a poor performance.

My picks this week:

Matt


Lil

Kris (or possibly Anoop)

Home: Matt or Lil could go either way. I don't know if they'd save either at this point. Matt's got a very nice recording voice, it's his live performances that need polish. Lil's lacking on both ends so it wouldn't be too surprising to see her go.




3 comments:

Jan n Jer said...

I think its going to come down to Adam and Danny in the end. They both are good performers. Allison is the best of the girls, but that flaming hair of hers has got to go. Someone needs to dress her!

ChicagoLady said...

Well, you were pretty darn accurate this week. Doug must have exerted some influence over the judges, for them to use the save on Matt. I agree with what you said about his adding stuff to songs where it's not needed.

And about Kris, sometimes it works against you to pick a song no one knows. Then again, if they don't know you're out of key...LOL. Sometimes you can't win no matter what you do.

Deanna said...

I was surprised they used the save on Matt. I think the top three will be Adam, Danny, and Alison. Lil needs to go home. She just can't seem to figure out what works. That is a shame because she started out so strong.