Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Denver and loose ends

Wow. We're not even really out of the audition phase and this makes week number two where I totally blew off the review for a whole week. What does this tell you about how I subconciously feel about this season? I may need to consider this being my last season for this show. Then again, I say that almost every year and then I find that one contestant that I think makes it all worth while.

The week's episodes came from Denver and what I like to call the "loose ends episode". Why? Because the last show always has that last little bits from all the auditions that the producers felt were worthy enough of air time. They usually dub it the "best of the best" but I in my opinion, this isn't always the case. There were alotta *meh* and merely honorable mentions this time around.

Here are Styx Picks for the week.

Mark Labriola: Considering all the joking and that huge massive set-up, I expected this to be a really majorly sucky audition.... then he opened his mouth. What a pleasant surprise!


mark denver @ Yahoo! Video


Haeley Vaughn: I wasn't really expecting this voice, to be honest. You expect a girl like her to come in and bust out with Alicia Keys, Aretha Franklin, Joss Stone or anyone else of that particular styling. One does NOT expect what we got, which was a full out country singer. MY NYSis is gonna hate her for sure...



haeley denver @ Yahoo! Video


Lee Dewyze and Crystal Bowersox: Of this quick montage of 2 contestants, Lee's was good but I preferred Crystal's audition over Lee's. Might be because last year's winner has the same sound and I'm so ready for something new.



pair best @ Yahoo! Video


Rachel Hubbard, Thaddeus Johnson and Genesis Moore: Of this group of 3, I much preferred Thaddeus over the other two. He does need to work on his breath support a bit though and I'm not so certain of his chances getting through the Hollywood rounds.



trio best @ Yahoo! Video


Didi Benami: She reminded me a bit of a Brooke White/ Megan Joy combination. She'll need to be careful that she doesn't allow her emotions completely wash her out in Hollywood. I did rather enjoy her rendition of Hey Jude (one of several songs I simply cannot stand).



didi best @ Yahoo! Video


Hope Johnson: She's got the story, the looks and dammitall...a good voice too. This one will be one to bear watching. Considering what she's gone through already, you can guarantee that she has more resilience in here little pinkie than a good 90% of those we saw this season so far. Randy's right in that she needs to learn how to close off those phrases. Is this the year of the Caucasian female? We are about due for one, but then we're due for an AAM as well.



hope best @ Yahoo! Video


And to close out the week, a non-pick. After seeing this one, I seriously wanted to burn my eyes out. I give you....Ty Hemmerling.



bikini denver @ Yahoo! Video

1 comment:

ChicagoLady said...

You just HAD to put Bikini boy up there, didn't ya!