Not sure how I'm feeling about this week's show. Comparing to last season, this crop of contestants doesn't seem to be comparing as well. Either they're not as good OR this double season per year format needs to be revisited because the fans are starting to burn out.
Ran late today because I had a hateful night and over slept. I so wish ITunes had a way to track the ones on the Top 200 by the hour so you could see exactly what the sales were doing at any given point. It would make entries like this SO much easier.
Ended up buying 3 songs total. One each from 3 of the four judges' groups. Actually, I was so disappointed in the contestants from that one group that I would be more than happy to send all 3 home and just cut the season a little shorter.
Mary Sarah: So Small :
comment: When they said she was going to be doing this song, I was worried because I thought for sure her old-fashioned voice wouldn't be able to handle it. No, she's no Carrie Underwood. Then again, no one is quite like Carrie. However, she did it fair justice. Looks like the Care Bears didn't like the rendition because it didn't do as well on the Top 200 as many of the others. In fact, she only managed to get past ONE of the others.
chart position as of 12:19 am after performance: 126
chart position as of 1:06pm: 86
change: up 40
Laith Al-Saadi : Born Under a Bad Sign:
comment: Now there's a song you don't hear often. I really kinda dig this guy, but I can't watch him when he plays. Why? Because he reminds me of Santa Claus, if Santa was to dye his hair and sing the blues in his off season. Bought this one.
chart position as of 12:19 am after performance: 65
chart position as of 1:06pm: 44
change: up 21
Daniel Passino: Human Nature:
comment: Didn't really dig this. It should have been good for his voice but he has this nasally thing he does. Well that and that over-flourish he does on the end of every.damn.song.
chart position as of 12:19 am after performance: 124
chart position as of 1:06pm: 78
change: up 46
Emily Keener: Lilac Wine:
comment: Didn't dig this at all. Checked the original because I wasn't familiar with the song. Didn't dig it either. Looks like it did okay on the chart. Not sure why because it's a really dull song. Maybe I need to listen back with the lyrics?
chart position as of 12:19 am after performance: 39
chart position as of 1:06pm: 26
change: up 13
Nick Hagelin: Mine Would Be You :
comment: Not bad, not great. Kind of middle of the pack, to be honest. If it came on the radio, I wouldn't change the channel. However, if someone else was in control of the tunes and turned channels, I wouldn't be fussing about it.
chart position as of 12:19 am after performance: 63
chart position as of 1:06pm: 40
change: up 23
Adam Wakefield: Soul Shine:
comment: This was perfect for his voice. I SO will be buying this as soon as the ITunes votes count. Now please excuse me while I fling a few more pairs of panties at the tv.
chart position as of 12:19am after performance: 14
chart position as of 1:06pm: 7
change: up 7
* In the 12 or so hours between the sales checks, his 7 Spanish Angels reappeared and was sitting at 194 for an increase of more than 7 spots.
Bryan Bautista: Kiss From a Rose:
comment: Didn't dig his arrangement on this one. I think it would have better served him if he stuck a bit closer to the original. Too much seasoning will ruin an otherwise lovely dish.
chart position as of 12:19 am after performance: 104
chart position as of 1:06pm: 71
change: up 33
Owen Danoff: 7 Years:
comment: I wasn't familiar with the original of this song either, even though it has been sitting at the top of the ITunes Top 200 for weeks. His performance was decent enough that I would have checked out the original because I wanted to, and not because I really needed to. I don't think I'll be buying either of them.
chart position as of 12:19 am after performance: 80
chart position as of 1:06pm: 46
change: up 34
Alisan Porter: Stone Cold:
comment: Whoa. Just whoa. A monster of a hit and she did a very good job. Guarantee that the songs from the last 3 weeks will hit the chart again after that performance. Bought this one too.
chart position as of 12:19 am after performance: 17
chart position as of 1:06pm: 9
change: up 8
*Cry Baby from last week re-entered at 149 and was sitting at 121 at the second check.
**Blue Bayou, from the week before, re-entered by the second check and was at 176.
Paxton Ingram: Hands to Myself:
comment: There is no judge's save for a net this time. If his fans don't get themselves to ITunes and utilize the alternate voting method's this one could be gone this week. One of the very small handful of Selena songs that I DO like, and he botched it.
chart position as of 12:19 am after performance: second week in a row... nadda
chart position as of 1:06pm: 168
change: up >33
Hannah Huston: Something's Got a Hold On Me:
comment: She made the right choice taking the key up. Could have done with a bit less growling. Okay, maybe alot less. Gotta worry when the judges liken your singing to "Alien Soul" and "ET singing" though. Maybe it's time to create a musical... maybe Species: The Musical? She could audition for Sil.
chart position as of 12:19 am after performance: 59
chart position as of 1:06pm: 41
change: up 18
Shalyah Fearing: Up To the Mountain:
comment: This was a good time to pull out this kind of song. Doesn't hurt they have her in a pimp spot. I do like this one better than last week's. Not enough to buy it, though.
chart position as of 12:19 am after performance: 69
chart position as of 1:06pm : 45
change: up 24
Analysis: The biggest sales increase this week goes to either Daniel (up 46), or possibly Paxton (up more than 33). It's hard to tell because the chart only goes to 200 so I have no idea where he was sales-wise around midnight.
According to the Chart, the Top 4 for the week are Adam (7th with last week's song making a come back), Alisan (9th with 2 additional repeats), Emily (26th), and Nick (40th). I half expect all 4 to go through, but if any of them run into trouble it might be Nick. Once you get to that section of the charts, things can get iffy. Then again, there isn't a judge save to throw us a curve like last week (I'm looking at YOU, Blake....).
In the mid-pack group we find Hannah (41st), Laith (44th), Shalyah (45th) and Owen (46th). I'm not overly worried about this group as they were all fair to middlin performances (personally, I would have put Laith in the upper group and Nick down here, just sayin') and there were a number that didn't fair nearly as well. I am kinda of surprised with Shalyah as that type of song usually does well and this time it didn't. Also surprised that she was out-sung by the snarling, rabid alien. None of them should be in danger, but it all depends on the alternate voting methods.
In the Bottom 4 we find Bryan (71st), Daniel (78), Mary Sarah (86th) and Paxton (168th). Bryan and Daniel are there because they put too much flourish and seasoning on their product. Mary Sarah fell to the " Oh NOE she DI'INT!!! I can't be-LIEVE she actually tried to do my idol-queen's song... and she SUCKED!!" mentality that some fans get (I am just as guilty about my favorite artists' music, I think we ALL are to an extent). Sad thing is, her performance wasn't all that bad and I don't think she should be in this position at all. If anything, the Soul Alien should be here in this group. As for Paxton, I still say Blake was drunk off his rocker to save this one last week. He had NO business on that stage this week. Although his sales this week were better than last week's, he's still the low man on the totem pole and needs to go. The question is, did the alternate voting methods save him? If not, will the Twitter save be his net?
No comments:
Post a Comment