Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

It was a Twainweck!

Looking at the choices of songs available, this week had some really good potential to being a great week. There are some really fun songs in her song book like Party For Two (change it up, use Mark McGrath's version!), Up! or Rock This Country just to name a few. I'd mention Man I Feel Like A Woman, but it's just not in Crystal's personality, Siobhan's voice is all wrong for it and the guys... well they aint Adam.

What did we get? The girls dipped into Shania's second album (which contains exactly 2 songs that I enjoy and neither performed this week were them), Lee and Aaron chose from album 3 (and managed to pick 2 of the 3 songs on that album that I absolutely abhor), Mike grabbed from the 4th album and Casey chose a song from her greatest hits album (how the fk can it be a greatest hit when it didn't make the cut on the other albums??? ). I didn't even know Mike's or Casey's off the top of my head (even though I see both sitting in my music files, go figure). Then again, considering that Shania's stuff was streamed ad naseum at the one chat site I belonged to (because she was the site owner's absolute fave), it's no wonder I'm not fond of much of it.

Needless to say, it's a damned good thing I did not bring the bottle of Sangria upstairs to my viewing area, because it would have been empty within the hour. Heck, it wouldn't have made it to the 30 minute mark. Ok, ok, in all fairness I'm not much of a country music kinda gal. My idea of "good" country music usually starts around 2003 and my idea of "old" country music is anything just prior to that. The older the song, the less likely I'm going to like it. Especially if they do any funky vocal gymnastics with their voice (which Shania does every now and again..).

The Maps and Chart are in total disagreement in one of the performers so Lord knows what's going to happen. I've already told hubby to brace for his favorite to be booted and I'm bracing for one of mine to be gone. Yeah, I know what the odds say regarding to my favorites and I also know how poorly the one did. Also cannot deny that the singing positions didn't help matters any.

Lee (You're Still the One): Hate the song. It's almost as bad as listening to Unchained Melody (the only song I hate more than this one). Lee does NOT have the voice for this type of song at all. He really needed to pick one of the more uptempo ones because he simply cannot sustain the notes properly. He also needs to work at completing the phrases. I think someone spiked the judges Coke and with every "good job" comment, I began to see what kind of night this was going to be. Oh, and Simon's right, Lee tends to pull a face now and again... kinda like Kris did last year. His odds are slipping a tad but every betting site is still calling for a Lee/Crystal finale (even though none of them believe he'll actually win it). He's rated a 2-6 on the Chart and listed next to last. He won 3 states this week, but this is the same he's won for the last 3 weeks. This is not the time in the competition to have a less than stellar showing. Singing first didn't help him much either.

Mike (It Only Hurts When I Breathe): Actually, this song was almost tolerable in a man's voice. Almost. The judges really need to start reading this blog because I was calling for Mike to do Luther Vandross for how long now?? And to just NOW make the connection (and it wasn't even a judge with a music background which really makes me wonder how qualified they really truly are)??? This week he won 1 state and lost 4. This puts him at a -3 for the week and DOWN 7 states from last week. Talk about your crash and burn. His odds are up mildly but none of the betting sites have him more than mid-pack. He's listed in dead last on the Chart. There will be no surprise if he's in the B3 and less of a shock if he's sent home (sorry hubby).

Casey (Don't): This was one of Casey's finer performances. He definitely needs more performances like this way. It's a shame he hadn't been singing like this all season because he surely would have been one of the front runners. Lee's gotta watch his back because if he's not careful, Bucky Young Ace Covington Casey will be the one waltzing into the finals ahead of him. I can't wait to hear the studio version of this one. His odds have slipped somewhat, but I'm hoping this performance brings them back up a bit and pushes them higher. He won 5 states this week, putting him 5 states higher than last week. The difference is that he sung first last week with a meh performance and this week he was mid-pack with a very good performance. The Chart has him listed 3rd. I'll be pretty surprised if he ends up in the B3 this week.

Crystal (No One Needs to Know Right Now): Good going, Ryan, point out Shania's white white teeth to the one contestant that has been needing help in that area. Really fkn smooth buddy. This was a standard Crystal performance, but not as memorable as some of the others have been. It was a good pick for her voice though. It was great to hear her upper register, but she doesn't exactly have the power up there as she does in her mid-range and you tend to lose something when she hits those higher notes. Not a favorite performance for the judges this week either. It was kinda odd not getting the praise as usual, it almost felt like a de-pimping of sorts so that it doesn't look like she's running away with the competition (which she pretty much is doing). Her odds have held even for a day or so but I suspect they'll go up even more. She won 13 states and lost 1 for a total of 12 states this week. This is down 4 states from last week but then last week was a pimp spot for her and they always tend to go up a bit when a contestant sings there. She's rated a 1-6 on the Chart and for the first time in weeks isn't listed in green NOR listed as first place. This week, according to the Maps, she's as good as safe. However, if the Chart turns out to be right, she could actually make a trip to the B3. Do I think this will happen, no. But the possibility is there.

Aaron (You've Got a Way): This should have been in his wheelhouse as he has that powerful voice for ballads like this. Should have been. Forget the fact that I hate this song as much as the one Lee chose. He was pitchy in areas and fell completely out of key several times. This was not good at all and I believe that once the judges view it back, they'll hear it too. However, thanks to the 3rd degree burns my colon (lower and upper) received from the SUTA that was blasted at him (so crispy even George Hamilton would look pale in comparison), I'm not so certain he'll be going anywhere this week. He's kinda in a weird place right now (Aaron, not George). For ya see, the megablast of SUTA only effected the Chart and not the Maps. On the Chart, he's listed in first and is the only one listed in green (albeit he still has a B3 label). However, on the Maps, he won 2 states and lost 4 for a total of -2. This is down 4 whole states since last week. So what do we believe? The judges, Chart and the next to last singing position? Or the Maps? All have known to be wrong.

Siobhan (Any Man of Mine) Ok. So I stand corrected. I listened to the original on this one and actually do like it. It would have been nicer if my fave had sung it though (woulda made another great message for the boyfriend). Ummm Si, honey, adding attitude does not give you license to screech like a cat in heat, darlin. Just because you have the power in your voice, doesn't always mean you should actually use it. Take a lesson from Crystal, less is more... bigger isn't always better. Even Shania didn't look pleased. Does this look like a happy camper? No, I think not. If you don't believe me, rewatch the video of Si singing. Better yet, pull up the link, keep it on pause until it gets fully loaded and then move the slider over to the last 1:34 to see the full reaction (this way you can spare your eardrums the torture). The girl to Shania's left, the expression pretty much says it all. I can't believe they SUTAed her too. Granted she was in the pimp spot but damn, we've seen them rip apart people in that position before. This week she won 8 states (Texas musta only liked her for her cattle calling skills) and is up one state from last week. Her odds are still dropping. She's listed in 4th on the Chart. Working for her? That damnedable site has her as the new poster child. *sigh* We'll have a couple more weeks at least of her.

So who goes?

If you don't have that spare X Chromosome, you're screwed this week. The betting sites are still calling for a female winner even with just the two girls in the competition and the Maps show that they pretty much whipped most of the boys collective asses. Casey being the only exception.

So who goes?

Personally, I think everyone needs to be shoved out the door and just crown Crystal already. Although after this week's showing I wouldn't give her a full crown , but a small tiara instead.
Then again, many were saying the same thing about Adam last year and look what happened. But on the other hand, Crystal doesn't leap completely out of the box like Adam did continually.

Dammit already... who goes?

Here's how it breaks down:

Lee: Only pretty good in the judges eyes this week and he sang first. He's shown no real growth for nearly a month on the Maps. It won't be a surprise if he hits the B3, but it will be a bit of a shock if he gets the boot considering how the betting odds have been looking for him. He should still be good for a couple more weeks, but without the save... it's anyone's game now. Unfortunately, I think Lee needs another wake-up call.

Mike: Singing second with a meh performance. Falling odds and a HUGE loss of states plus a bottom listing? Everything's working against him this week. It'll be a near miracle if he lasts. He's already out lasted Matt G's save record. I really think that save was wasted on Mike because he doesn't seem to have the fan base to keep him in here. A B3 is more than likely in the cards and I won't be surprised if he's finally shown the door as he's overstayed his welcome.

Aaron: Yeah, granted he's listed in green and the one in green never seems to go. However, one cannot ignore the Maps (which means that something might be glitchy in the Chart) and the fact he lost more states than he won. You also cannot ignore the fact his odds keep dropping and they're the lowest of the bunch (bet $100 now and if he wins you'll be $6800 richer).

Casey: Simply because he has a penis (well, we think he does at least... hey Kara, can you confirm this yet?). If he goes, it'll be a shocker, but it'll be because it was too little too late.

Siobhan: Ok so the Maps have her in second not too far behind Crystal and the Chart has her in mid-pack. However, it cannot be ignored that her odds are right up there with Michael's and Casey's (or should we say down there?) and after that caterwauling, she deserves to be tossed out. Not that I think it's even an option with that number of states won, but a girl can dream...right?

Betting sites B2: Aaron with any of the following Michael, Casey or Siobhan (all 3 tied) with Aaron as good as gone.

Chart: Lee and Michael with either going or any of the others listed

Maps: Aaron and Michael with Michael having the worst numbers.

Only constants in these 3 sources I use? Michael and Aaron.






1 comment:

Deanna said...

I am NOT a Twain fan. I almost turned the show off when I saw she was the inspiration. I was actually pleasantly surprised with the performances. I base that on the fact that I think they were better than Shania... everything she sings sounds the same to me.

I was totally surprised to see Casey in the bottom two. But I did call it for Si to go home. At one time she was one of my favorites, but she had run her course and wasn't improving. Personally I think the scream sent her home. Yuck.