Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

LA auditions

Ok, Im feeling better this week compared to last week. However I'm beginning to suspect I'll need to take myself off the computer the day before show day to make sure I'm running at 100%. Like I told my good buddy in Chicago, thank goodness for detailed notes (not to mention the wonderful others who blog and post the videos)!

This episode we were in Los Angeles, although there were a few moments when I could have sworn we were in San Francisco. We had Avril Lavigne on day one and Katy Perry for day two.

Here are tonight's Styx Picks:

Jim Ranger: He chose to sing an original song that he'd penned. Now, all AI addicts can tell you that this is ~usually~ a horrid decision as the judges always think the original songs suck. However, this one wasn't all that bad. In fact, it was quite good. I wasn't totally blown away, but there is definitely something there. I do worry if he's going to get through Hollywood though. Hollywood is a very stressful time for the contestants. This will be compounded with the fact that he has 3 kids, a wife AND his church (he's a worship minister) back home. He's going to need to make a decision on what is more important because if he wins this, he won't be home for a while.



Mary Powers: Oooh. Now this one I really liked. I could see myself getting behind her in competition. She's a little Allison, a little Dilana and I can absolutely see me buying an album in the future from her. She picked a very difficult song and did it well.



Tasha Layton: Of the two notable church people (see Jim Ranger), this minister will more than likely have an easier time during the Hollywood rounds. I'm only basing this upon the fact there was no mention of kids or a spouse. Well that and her voice was just that much better than Jim's.



Chris Golightly: Nice voice, good control and wasn't afraid to make the song his own.



And for some humor, before we leave for the night... the one contestant that actually made Katy Perry say that she felt dirty. We've all seen her videos, and if SHE'S saying that she feels dirty.... you know it's bad. I still canNOT believe they got clearance for this song!!!



(watch it while you can because you KNOW YouTube will have this yanked down by tomorrow)

Next up: Dallas with Joe Jonas and Neil Patrick Harris.

No comments: